|Kuradang Queen and King 2016|
This year's Sandugo Street Dancing Committee took their chances in bringing back the Sandugo to its basics, essentially back to the people - and we're glad. Piskay.
|Tita's of Sandugo 2016|
I personally would love to see an exhibition presentation of Bohol's best kuradang dancers, and that means senior kuradang dancers!
|Everyone's happy, no?|
- Moving the street fest to Bohol Day (a non-working holiday here, anyway) is not a bad idea, actually quite proper. (We must lament the lack of info-dissemination, though.)
- The dancing Sikatunas and Legazpis are cute (especially with their stoic expressions).
- The dancing mini- Sikatuna and Legazpi are way cuter (especially with their full-on smiles).
- But the elder kuradang dancers are, hands down, the best!
- Odoni Pestelos' Sandugo+Kuradang+Subli music is spot-on. The lyricist must be a Bol-anon poet! (Edit: Indeed, he is! No less than Marianito "Nitz" Luspo, himself!)
- Props to those who made the effort to sing 'live' during the 'Subli sa Sandugo part (aka the re-enactment), though, it could've been better if they just recited their parts in a sing-song, balaknon way if they couldn't get the tune/tone right.
- Some teams didn't get the idea to keep it simple. Those huge stage props are so passé.
- That said, the stage was probably, too small, with or without those huge props. A bigger (like Cebu's Sinulog) stage with fewer distractions like the backdrop and the monitor speakers would allow for the dancers and their movements to be highlighted more.
While there were clear winners among the eight performing contingents, Lumad Napoanon (Barangay Napo, Loon), Holy Name University and Dr. Cecilio Putong National High School (DCPNHS) aka "Bohol High", among the crowd favorites, -- because of the basic kuradang movements and music shared by everyone
This is not to discount the - by the winners, of course.
|Lumad Napoanon of Barangay Napo, Loon, Bohol|
|Lumad Napoanon's Jose Zuasola Lugo and Julie Rebucas Murcia, Kuradang King and Queen.|
Dr. Cecilio Putong National High School was declared 2nd best contingent, while LGU Balilihan came in third.
|Half of the board of judges.|
|Small stage, huge props. Not a good combination.|
|The lean Mabini Team was still a delight to watch, because Kuradang.|
|See Sikatuna and Legazpi juniors? Grade schoolers should totally do Sandugo-inspired plays in schools.|
|Some teams actually made efforts to have their kuradang dancing slip-ons be made specifically for the event. That's one industry we should revive.|
|Sikatuna doing a superman.|